One of the best shows that singles can watch for great dating tips is A&E’s Confessions of a Matchmaker starring matchmaker Patti Novak. It airs in half-hour segments every week and features Novak’s adventures with clients in Buffalo, New York. Novak is a no-nonsense person who tells it as it is and when clients listen, they find success where none existed before.
As a service to our readers, we will break down the valuable tips that Novak presents in each episode, starting with the first one in this post:
Episode 1 (Charlie & Ashley) – Dating Tips:
- Control what you put into your mouth because what you put into your mouth affects your confidence.
- Don’t tan a lot. It’s bad for your skin and makes people think you’re “covering something up”.
- Your looks will determine the type of person you meet (i.e. women trying to look too sexy can attract all the wrong guys).
- A softer look makes you more approachable.
- When trying to correct a lifestyle issue or habit that is inhibiting your dating, just “trying” to fix it isn’t good enough. You must do it.
- When on a date, don’t talk with your mouth full. It’s gross.
- Getting wasted on a first date usually doesn’t lead to a second date.
- On a first date it is inappropriate to force your territory on someone (i.e. bringing friends and introducing them, etc.).
- Too much makeup can make you look insecure and fake.
One thing you learn from this show is that tips are only good if you follow them. For example, in this episode, Ashley came to Novak for help. Novak told her to stop tanning and wearing so much makeup in order to get that softer look. Ashley agreed, but then ignored the advice and her first date was a disaster, partially because the guy thought she wore too much makeup.
When people seek out advice, it only does them good if they learn to follow that advice.